We stand before You, Holy Spirit,
as we gather together in Your name.
With You alone to guide us,
make Yourself at home in our hearts;
teach us the way we must go and how to pursue it.
We are weak and sinful;
do not let us promote disorder.
Do not let ignorance lead us down the wrong path
nor partiality influence our actions.
Let us find in You our unity
so that we may journey together to eternal life
and not stray from the way of truth
and what is right.
All this we ask of You,
who are at work in every place and time,
in the communion of the Father and the Son,
forever and ever.
Pope Francis is encouraging us in this synod to pray together, to talk about the faith together, to understand one another better, and to experience that the Church is called to be a real, personal, and authentic communion of its baptised members. For bishops, the local synod process is an opportunity to learn from local Catholics what their own pastoral priorities should be – not by asking other people to set the bishop’s agenda, but by hearing what matters to Catholics, and how they think, and then using that information to develop plans for evangelization, catechesis, and pastoral care.
Many thanks to all the members of our parish family who came along to the meeting last weekend and those who have written down their thoughts. All are greatly valued.
If you would like to add anything further based on the theme COMMUNION and PARTICIPATION, please do so using the Synod response boxes provided in both churches OR if you wish to participate but are unable to attend Mass or the Meetings please send your responses to the Presbytery for the attention of Ewa Thomas and Deirdre Barker. Please note we only have a few weeks to gather the information.
A reminder on the questions for ‘Communion’ and ‘Participation’:
- Synodal Church means journeying together. What steps do you think the Holy Spirit may be calling our parish to take to help us do this effectively?
- In what ways can we help to build up our communion? Think of 2 ideas – one for now and one to aim for the future.
- Can you share 1 or 2 ideas on how we can reach those who have drifted away?
- Reflecting on two years of the pandemic, how has participation in your parish been affected? Were these issues there before? How can participation be strengthened moving forward?
- How do you currently participate personally in the life of the parish? How much responsibility do you have as an individual?
Your next opportunity to engage in ‘graceful listening and speaking’ on the theme of MISSION will be on Saturday 5th and Sunday 6th March, immediately after Mass.
The meeting time will be 70mins and take the format of; Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament as we consider, prayerfully the questions on ‘Mission’ followed by a Gospel Reading. The meetings will be recorded to assist the Synod Representatives in preparing the Parish responses.
The questions to reflect on and answer are:-
- How is your parish set up for evangelisation? How could your parish reach out better to the broader community with the Good News?
- Where is the Holy Spirit calling you personally to mission and service today?
May we continue our ‘journeying together,’ led by and in the power of the Holy Spirit.